Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wusheng, a market at night

Last night I walked to the Wusheng Night market, it was on the west side of Tainan and is about as far as I can walk in Tainan at night. It was a bust, as it was more of a "market at night", rather than a "night market". It was big, with lots of meat, fish, fruit and vegetables for sale but none of the carnival atmosphere of a night market. I'm glad the Da Dong real night market is only a half hour walk from my dorm.

The Da Dong market is three times a week and everyday in Tainan there might be 3 or 4 night markets. Because everyone has a motorcycle they can choose which one on any night. Similarly I think the vendors are independent business men and women and they'll go to where every the customers are.

But it was a good hike. I had the biggest and best baozhi I've ever had. It's steamed bread wrapping a meat ball. I ate them both before I took a picture, sorry. Next time.

That's the difference between living in a country and being a tourist. As a tourist you have a limited time and so you want to do everything, eat everything, see everything and buy everything before you go back. If you have the time, like me, there's really no hurry. If I see a good place to eat just after having a good meal, I just put that new place on the list of things to do. No worry that I'll miss something.


Next weekend is Zhong Qui Jie, the Mid Autumn Festival when the moon is the roundest and brightest of the year. One of the traditional dishes is Zongzi, it is sticky rice wrapped in a bamboo leave. Inside can be many fillings like pork, egg, peanuts, ... On the way back from the Wusheng market at night, I bought 2 at this side walk restaurant, they sold them with gravy, I swear it was the same gravy I've see on mashed potatoes. Actually I like hot sauce on my zongzi. This a container of zongzi.

These two pictures below were along the road on a sandwich board format. I don't know what's going on my but the pictures are intense.




















Here's my camera in Taiwan, it's working pretty well. But I still learning. It's about 2 inches by 3 inches, I carry it in my left front pocket. There are two features I wish it had:


1. Record sound without movie producing an MP3 file.
2. Record smells

There are plenty of sounds that I'd like to have you listen to: firecrackers, traffic, funeral music, temple music, ... but if I take a movie I have to line up a movie to match the sound.

The recording of smells, will probably be a technological way off. But there are smells like cho dou fu, flowers, sewers, ... that are unique to Taiwan.


This weekend I was brave enough to try three local fruits. Here they are before facing the knife. I don't know the names of any of them in either English or Chinese.










The brown one turned out to be a giant Asian pear. The orange one might be a persimmon? The green one seemed to be a small pamello.

3 comments:

Paula said...

I guess I'm the first to post. Florence, where are you? It sounds like Wusheng isn't as much fun as DaDong near you. You still discovered some interesting food. We tried to eat at Facing East today. I wanted to eat some Taiwanese food for lunch after reading all of your descriptions on your blog. Unfortunately, many other people had that idea and we couldn't get in. Since we aren't tourists, we'll wait for another day. Panera bread was fine instead.
We have had some good home-grown Asian pears. It's too bad you aren't around so we could share them with you. I love persimmons. I'll have to see if any are in the grocery stores here. Is a pamello just a citrus fruit like a grapefruit?
I hope you are having a good weekend.

Florence said...

Congratulation to Paula for being the first to comment. Well, I can't tell you where I was. It is a secret 
The two pictures are about moles. The Asian think everything on your body has meaning. So the location of the mole on your body means something. There are good and bad. You need to keep the good ones and get rid of the bad ones. The two pictures are trying to tell you to get rid of the bad ones. So you should pay them to do it or pay them to you the fortune!
Mike, you should use your itouch to record the sound. You can use itouch to do a lot of things. Voice recording is a good one.
I am glad that you found Zongzi. It is probably so popular now, that they make them for most of the festival. Zongzi used to be only for dragon festival ( around June). Moon festival, the coming Saturday is actually should have different moon cakes. I know you don’t like moon cakes but there are many kinds of moon cakes. You should try again. Both Zongzi and moon cakes have vegetarian version and they are very good. Too.
Paula, we just have to try “Facing East” again! It is really my favorite restaurant in Seattle area.

Julie said...

Hi Mike

Your weather sounds like the weather I had in Guam and Saipan - rainy and then humid when the rain stops. I also got a giant Asian pear and tried some small bananas. The parade sounds interesting.

Julie