Saturday, September 26, 2009

Da Dong

Well I survived the first week of classes and everything is going well. My teachers are all great, I can't believe the enthusiasm and energy that they have. Even though most of the classes are 2 hours long the time goes really quickly. I have a hard time remembering such classes in the US.

My schedule now is:

Regular class 2 hours, five days a week
Pronunciation 2 hours, once per week
Grammar 1 hour, once per week
Chinese singing 2 hours, once per week


One of the things most foreigners like about Taiwan is the Night Market scene. It's like a carnival with games and stalls selling clothes, tools, jewelry, knickknacks, ... And food, lots and lots of different food. The crowds are huge, you can't go quickly through the aisles because the crowds slowly move around.











Here is one of the traditional children's games. For 50NT you are given 3 "nets" to catch fish but the nets are made with thin filter paper and easily break. All the fish you can catch are yours. If you're greedy and go for a big fish your net will definitely break.













I tried it, thinking I would give away the fish I caught but I quickly went through my nets without a single fish. The vendor teased me showing me how she could catch fish even with the nets that I thought were broken. Kind of humiliating, but fun.








Aquariums are big in Taiwan, I wonder how many of them got started at the night market? I know aquariums had some effect on Feng Shui but I'm not to sure about that.














Here is the Chinese subway. It was good, the bread is about 6 inches long and it's fried bread, not baked. The bread is split open and the mayo, egg slices, luncheon meat, cucumbers and tomatoes go inside. It holds much less. They also have "3 inch
hamburgers". I think the idea is that there are so many good things to eat that no one wants to get filled up just eating one thing.










Here are some other goodies I brought home. The candied cherries turned out to be candied cherry tomatoes. The garlic bread was the same as US. The two pastries were like in the US with an egg custard filing. The fried bread was heavily seasons with parsley or oregano. It's better hot than the next day.

2 comments:

Florence said...

Candied cherry tomato is a very old desert. Tomato is one of those. It could be plum also. It usually uses something a little sour, round fruit to get sweet and sour taste. Tomato and plum are the most popular. Sometimes you can see it in the street vendor scene in very old Chinese movie in 1930s. Most Asian snack is not very sweet. This one is easy and cheap. The skew is dipped in a melted sugar to get a thin shinny coating. The stick is easy handling. We should sell it in Minnesota state fair next year to make money, everything on the stick!!!!!

Paula said...

How often are the street fairs? It sounds like fun entertainment and a good way to sample more Chinese snacks. Is the street fair very far away from your dorm? Have you gone fishing again?

I'm glad you are settled in in your classes and that they are fun. I hope you still like them as your term progresses. Have a great weekend!