Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Exploring Tainan -- Day 2


I didn't have much trouble adjusting to the time difference between Bellevue and Tainan even though Tainan is 15 hours ahead of Bellevue. Even though my family and I lived in Taiwan 2 years it was 15 years ago. From the airport to Tainan I was looking for anything that I recognized from 15 years ago. I didn't see anything I remembered until I reached Tainan. I finally recognized the Tainan Railway Station. I use to visit the Tainan Railway Station which was a bustling place, but with the High Speed Railway(HSR) it is now just a sleepy stop on the shuttle from the High Speed Railway to the center of Tainan City. It seems Taiwan is always building, always changing.

On the shuttle from the HSR, I missed the closest stop to my dorm by two stops, I thought I would just walk back and I did but it was 86F degrees at 9AM in the morning! Those distances don't look too long on the map(especially google maps) but lugging the luggage builds up a sweat.

I'm pretty well wired here in Tainan with the ethernet connection. Florence and I did a skype call and it worked pretty well even with the video working on both sides. My tech support(Ely Ess) setup my itouch with apps and music so I always have stuff to listen to and do. Some of the free apps for Chinese study are pretty impressive.


Above is my first breakfast in Tainan. The bowl has sweetened soy bean milk. The green flat bread is flavored with onion/shallots. The bun was a mystery to me but turned out to have sauteed cabbage, onions, ... I don't know what I am ordering here I just point and it clicks. Because I don't know the names of what I'm eating I can't use the menu to figure out the prices. I just pay what they say, it's not much anyway. For example, the breakfast costs 44 New Taiwan Dollars(NT), which is about $1.35. All of it was good.

1 comment:

Florence said...

Yummy!! The breakfast looked really good. Even Paula, the vegan, can have that. I saw your room yesterday through Skype. It really contains all you need. It is not hard for us to adjust to the small space since we have been praticing living in small space for more than 5 years!

I am afraid that you will not like my food any more after 6 months of good food :)