Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fruit in Tainan
















I haven't given enough time to Taiwan's fruits and vegetables which are inexpensive and abundant. Vegetables and fruit are usually sold in the open air markets in the mornings and being so inexpensive they're not seen too often in the street shops because it's hard to mark them up and make a profit. Sure there are value added products like smoothies and assorted fruit slices but usually those are in the up scale shops. The amount and variety is great, I don't even know all the English names let alone the Chinese name. Just point and pay probably works.

This is the fruit I first bought here(good choice Mike). To eat this 1/8th watermelon I had to buy a knife, fork and spoon. And I had to abandon my policy of not eating in my room. But I have a refrigerator in the room, so I can't say they expected me not to eat here.



This is my favorite drink in Taiwan. It's papaya milk. Usually the enzymes in papaya would curled the milk but thanks to modern chemistry it good every time I buy it.














Here we have my second favorite fruit, bala, which is a type of guava that is very common in Taiwan. The milk carton is
yam milk, it wasn't very good.










This carton of juice drink could have been called "F8" because it has about 8 assorted fruits in one.







This hardly seems to be breakfast but it was served in the morning so it must be. It's an assortment of meat/fish balls in a broth with yu tiao(the long fried bread stick, sometimes called the "Chinese donut"). The white meat ball is pork, remember "pork is the other white meat". A fish ball with an orange tinge is shrimp. The darker meat ball is probably beef. It was delicious.

3 comments:

Florence said...

I saw my favorite fruit, guava now. Both Ely and I miss that fruit. I saw it sold in Indian grocery store here but it did not look good and it was also very expensive. I am not sure about apple in Taiwan now. How is the price of the apple? When I was young, apple was considered a special fruit since it was from US. It was not as good as here but it was very expensive since they all imported from US. This proves one thing, eat locally. "Eat locally" is not only getting fresh stuff but also cheap. We have blueberry in season in Washington state now. I am sure you won't see blueberry there. But who cares, there are much more fruits there to replace bllueberry.

You should taste fresh papaya other than the Milk.

The fish balls of all kind look really good. All Asian eat lots of fish fresh. When they have a lot of the fresh fish, they mash up the fish meat ( different part), add salt and peper, then make the dough like a ball and boil it in the water like dumpling. Now you can use the fish balls in the dishes. It also last longer. American would just smoke it or pickle and throw all the fatty part away.

Paula said...

Your food notes are always a big hit with your readers! Thanks for including pictures of fresh fruit. I would enjoy trying some of the different kinds. I'm glad that food is inexpensive so you can keep trying different kinds at various places.

elleness7@gmail.com said...

I loved the open markets in Taiwan. That's some breakfast! The white donnut shape is the pork???Ellen