Thursday, September 24, 2009

Name that tune.

I'm getting this post out a little early because we have a field trip tomorrow. But I just realized that it conflicts with my Chinese singing class. Oh well, I've been to those places already, we'll see what happens.


Listen to the music of this first clip, and try to guess what is coming.









At first I thought we were in for ice cream, it's certainly hot enough, but in the second clip we have a close up of where the music is coming from.




There's not enough space for big trash cans in Taiwan and the garbage goes bad quickly in this heat. So in my neighborhood, once every other day the garbage truck comes. The schedule is fairly regular but the music lets the residents know exactly when to bring out your garbage. This the same music as 15 years ago in HsinChu but I just forgot.



I had such a good experience going to the Tainan City Hall that I went to one of the local district buildings. Not as good. Not anything in English and the Exhibit Hall was under construction, The Plaza was called the "Starlight Plaza". Then I remembered, I have never seen the stars while here in Tainan, maybe it's because it's always overcast, or the City Light drown out the stars or maybe I'm never looking up. I don't know, I'll just have to keep looking.








Our sun is a star, and in Taiwan it sets in the west over mainland China. I think the dust from the deserts in Tibet, Mongolia and Xinjiang give the setting sun this red color. Remember according to the communists: "The East is Red".

2 comments:

Florence said...

I am home now and PinFan is working for the famous IBM at this moment. I would the first to write the comment for this blog even though I really don't have much to say.

Oh, the famous garbage truck. The music is about 40 to 50 years old. It is the same music when I was in Taiwan when my mother told me to chase after the garbage truck to give away our garbage. Yes, the weather is so hot we need to get rid of the garbage as soon as possible.

It is always the mother to carry the garbage out since most chidren probably still in school or studying. When the kids are in school, they are queen and king, they don't do much house work. The husband is probably watching TV. I didn't do much housework when I was in Taiwan. I feel really bad now when I think about it.

Paula said...

A musical garbage truck--I never would have guessed! It makes sense, though. It's the same way in our household. The mother has to take the garbage out while the husband watches TV and the sons have to study so they can't. The sons will get their turns when they have children. When we move into a condo, garbage collection will be so much easier! Now I have to haul the cans up our steep driveway. Life will be easier after we move--if we can sell our house.
I always look forward to your photos. I feel like I'm a tourist there seeing the sights. How hot is it now? I could turn the thermostat up when I read your blog to pretend I'm there. What kind of odors (if any) might I smell on the streets?