Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fruit in Taiwan

The third day of classes continues the trend of getting better and better. We now have 10 people in the class, nobody told the woman from Slovenia that she had to go to class this week so she missed the first 2 days. There's always mis- communication if you don't ask questions but it's embarrassing to ask questions.

There's an old quote from Mark Twain:

"It's better to keep you mouth shut and let them think that you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

We've all learned this lesson too well.


These two pictures are of the 24 hour fruit stand about 5 blocks from my dorm. I like going there at night after the heat has gone down. Last time I spend 260NT(~$8.12) for
4 Fuji apples, 2 Bala and 1/8 of a watermelon, I don't think this was exactly a good deal. Then I read the labels and it turns out the apples are from Chile and the price of the watermelon seems to indicate that it was imported too. Only the bala was local and cheap. There are lots of local fruit for sale but I don't know there name


and haven't tried them. I should be more adventurous and try some of the mystery fruits. lots of them need a knife and cutting board to get through the skin. So for today I'm buying a cutting board.

I think Taiwanese love fruit and are willing to spend to try foreign fruit from New Zealand, Chile and California. I have to confess I did buy two peaches without looking at the label until I got back to the dorm. They were from California. The locavor movement hasn't yet made it to Taiwan.



Here's the Fuji apple from Chile and the inside of the native bala(Guava). Watch out for the seeds inside, they can be hard of the teeth.










Here's a different kind of apple from Chile and the peach from California.


My new motto is:

"More fruit, Less pai gu!"








This the typical taxi in Taipei and Tainan. It is a Toyota Altis, which is pretty close to a Toyota Corrolla. Not all of the taxis are this new.

While in Taipei, we once rode in a BMW taxis and my nephew asked him what's the deal? The driver was retired but didn't want to stay at home so he bought the BMW and turned it into a Taxis which he drives all day. (The bus man's holiday). It costs him twice as much to operate because it uses premium gas and it gets lower gas mileage and the fares are fixed by the city government. He is my retirement hero.

4 comments:

Pinfan said...

"More fruit, Less pai gu" Yes!! There are many kinds of fruits in Taiwan, try them all!!!

Florence said...

PIn Fan beat me again. I am happy though. It means Mike now has three loyal fans, Paula, Pin Fan and I. All three of us represent three kinds, White American, native Taiwanese once lived in US, Taiwanese once lived in Taiwan.

Fruit is my favorite. Yes, fruit is better than "pai gu". I hope you buy local fruit instead of imported fruit, localization, localization. I believe the reason for all those imported fruit is because of WTO. If a country want to be a member of WTO, the country has to have fair trade for all the produce.

I am sure you are better than the Slovenian woman. She needs your help! Well, I don't agree Mark Twain. "Always ask question" is my way of life. Mark Tawin is not a woman. Real men don't ask questions.

Pinfan said...

Agreed with Florence...i always have many questions!!! (bcs i am too lazy to find answer by my own..hah)

Paula said...

The fruit market looks wonderful! You are lucky to have one so close to you. Larry loves guava. We would have fun at that market. I'm guessing it could be challenging to manage the fruit in your room and not attract pests. Any sign of the centipede again? Is your gecko any fatter?



You've covered the fresh fruit well on your blog. What about tofu? Is it very popular in Tainan? Do you know if there are many vegans around? I'm guessing there are some Buddhist vegetarians.