Friday, September 4, 2009

Settling in

I've made a map of my area of Tainan and I'm surveying all of the resturants in the area and I planned to visit a couple new ones each day. For breakfast, I have already found a favorite as the food is laid out and I just have to point to what looks good. The servers are very friendly about my limited Chinese so that's a big selling point too. Below is a simple breakfast that costs 32NT which is $1. The six guotie(pronounced go-tee-ay) are usually called "potstickers" or dumplings in the US. Dumpling seems totally the wrong word. The breakfast also had a bowl of dou jiang which is the sweetened soy bean milk. I never like it in the US but here in Tainan it's very refreshing.Below is a picture of my favorite dinner, it's call Pai Gu Fan. It's a breaded pork cutlet fried on white rice with sides. In this case the sides are sauteed cabbage, layered scrambled egg and a stew of mushrooms, raw peanuts and potatoes. It also came with a bowl of tomato soup made with pork neck bones(I think). I did such a good job finishing my plate that the server brought me an extra bowl of soup on the house. Cost 60NT.

The Taiwanese are very resourceful. Below is a solution to the high cost of color print cartridges. Basicly the tray for the cartridges is adapted to a small pump from resevoirs of the various colors. There are versions for all the major printers and the reservoires can be filled with liquid when you see the level is low.

4 comments:

Florence said...

Your blog i sgetting better and better. This is the first thing I do every morning.

You should buy a printer just to compare the difference between US and there. I believe the printer company won't want to sell that kind of printer here since ink cartrige is the main money making resource for the printers. When the printer with filled in ink starts to sell here, we should not own HP stock any more :)

The pork chop looked really good. That is your favorite food to order even when you are here. Does it taste better there?

Ely E said...

Hey Dad, the cartridge refill machine looks great! Those Taiwanese are so clever. :)

The dumplings look good. Have you found a place that serves ramen yet?

Jeff Moriarity said...

Mike,
I'm curious about the ability to write Chinese (Kanji ?). Does it require a bit of calligraphy skills? I would think the average American with bad handwriting would be doomed. I enjoy the blog.

Jeff

elleness7@gmail.com said...

The food looks great! Layered eggs ----what a great idea! I love --while catching up---all the news.Mother