Thursday, September 10, 2009

2nd trip to City Hall

The second time was a charm. I read my map from the internet incorrectly and the arrow pointing to the address actually pointed to the correct side of the side only after I drilled down to a sufficient magnification. The address was actually city hall.
User error.

The Tainan City Hall building is wonderful. New, spacious, full of art displays. The Foreign Visitor Assistance Center was on the second floor but after several attempts I realized that the elevators don't go to the second floor. That was embarrassing.


I was tested for a fever as a walked into the building. Lots of people in Taiwan are worried about the H1N1 flu. I didn't have a fever so a got the red

sticker stamp of approval to enter the building.

At the Foreign Visitor Assistance Center,
I got lots of good information, 2D, 3 maps and 3 pamphlets. It was definitely worth the two trips.

Because I'm a 100% pedestrian here in Tainan, I'm obsessing about all thinks pedestrian. Side walks are not just for walkers but are mostly for parking motorcycles.

711 stores use these metal channels to clear a path so customers can get into the stores.











I saw a motorcycle go through this barrier and it only had to slow down a little. That's good that they slowed down but obviously the P's are too far apart.










These P's were at a bank are seemed to be effective keeping out the motorcycle.












These also were effective. Can you image what happens to a motorcycle hitting these guys? I hope that reflective yellow stands out at night. Motorcycling on sidewalks happens. As does motorcycling against traffic. My greatest fears in Taiwan is not the H1N1 but being hit by a motocycle or slipping on the wet shower tiles.






One of the best desserts in Taiwan is this shaved ice. It usually has chopped fruit or sweet vegetables that you can mash into the ice. These which we had at a Thai restaurant has sweet yam, taro and coconut milk. I don't remember the other ingredients but it was good. And healthy too. I had some on the way back from City Hall. The vendor allows the customer to choose the toppings of course I didn't know their names so I just asked for a combo by pointing to each possible topping. It was very refreshing.

4 comments:

Florence said...

Wow, the adventure of the city hall is exciting. Shaved ice? It was impossible to have you order the dish when we were in "Facing East" restaurant. Now you like it, we can order it again when you come back.

All the pictures that you have here show the city is clean. Is the city clean?

The story of city hall is fun as well as the statistic for the population. Everyone was waiting for the followed up story. Maybe you should consider a topic for continuous blogs.

Paula said...

Mike, I'm glad that you are staying safe from the dreaded motorcycles! I remember how much you and Florence enjoyed your ride on a motorbike around Seattle before you left. Are you at all tempted to rent one in Tainan? What side of the road do people drive on?

I'm glad that you are keeping the pictures of food coming! The shaved ice dessert looks so good that I would like to try making something like that. It's too bad that the Thai restaurants around here don't make those desserts. Maybe you could start a new busines selling Chinese/Thai style shaved ice desserts at the Bravern when you get back. There is still some retail space available in Bellevue.

Paula

Pinfan said...

Mike, the Thai desert is call MoMoZaza (摩摩喳喳)it has all kind of famous unique Thai fruits, coconuts, and others...One of my must order thing in Thai restaurant. You can find it in any Thai restaurant in Taiwan.

And, all the motocycle stop things are very interesting. People in South Taiwan are all get used to ride motocycle to get around, as bus/MRT is not popular there. People from South just love to ride scooter around even after they moved to Taipei to work after. Most of my colleagues who are from south are very good at riding scooter..hahaha..

elleness7@gmail.com said...

Another "I remember when" comment from Mama..
When you took Eli and Ely to school on the motorbike you had----one sitting on the back seat and one standing in front of you. It seemed very safe bec you didnt have to go very far., but the barriers you show suggest a different atmosphere for you today to do the same.Ellen