Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rocks in Tainan


In Tainan they like to use rocks with lettering for signs. It certainly lends an air of permanence. Here is the sign in from of my off-campus dorm.










Here is the sign in front of the Chemical Engineering building. It's massive. These rocks are usually metamorphic rocks dreaded up from the deep as the Pacific Ocean plate hits the Eurasian plate.

















Here's the park sign of the park on my street, which you can see from the satellite view of a few blogs ago.















Here are the rocks in front of my school, the College of Foreign Languages. The rock with red writing is an inscription. In the old days, such a stone could be inked and a sheet of paper place on top and hammered to absorb some of the ink. In this way, many copies of a decree from the Emperor could be made. Like a real old-fashion xerox machine.







This a decorative stone on the NCKU campus, it is a fossiliferous. As the Pacific Ocean Plate is pushed up, the island Taiwan comes to the surface about 60 million years ago. That's about 20 million years after the dinosaurs went extinct. So there are no dinosaur fossils on Taiwan.

The Pacific Ocean is still spreading and Taiwan is pushed closer to Mainland China. I heard that it was getting closer to China at a rate of 7cm per year. Given that Taiwan is about 150km from the Mainland we should have unification in about 2 million years. We can only hope it takes that long.

3 comments:

Pinfan said...

Good pictures, I love big rocks too. I just came back from 花蓮, and always amazed how all the beautiful rocks came from. They are really the treasure of Taiwan.

Florence said...

Good subject, it is in your area. I love your explanation to the rock. I guess if we pay attention to our surrounding we really can find thing that is interesting. But having time is important. If we are always in a hurry, we would never see things the around us. I wonder how many Taiwanese realize that we like to use rock as a sign. Rock is a good material since it requires less maintenance and the rain would only make it cleaner.
Pin Fan is back. I was wondering where she is. I am glad she is back.

Paula said...

How observant of you about the rocks! I'm glad that you are taking time to view your surroundings with care. You come up with some great topics. My great great grandfather came to fame and fortune as an engraver of tombstones. If you go to funeral parlors here, you are likely to see tombstones (rocks) engraved with "Matthews" on them as samples for the grieving families to choose from. Unfortunately, my great grandfather had a falling out with his father and brothers, so never benefited from his fortune.