Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back in Tainan

Note to all bloggers: The spell checker doesn't check the title of the blog entry! You have to do that 'manually'. There is no word 'blgo' as in my last post.

While in Taipei, I was asked many times: "Why study in Tainan rather than Taipei?"

I had plenty of opportunities to answer so here are my best reasons:

1. Cheng Kung University is a good school. There are about 2 dozen Universities/Colleges teaching Chinese to foreigners about half are in the Taipei area. probably the best is ShiDa in Taipei, but for a beginner like me it doesn't matter. Cheng Kung University(ChengDa) has one of the oldest, biggest, well-known programs.

2. There are fewer foreigners in Tainan than in Taipei. I don't think you learn too much Chinese speaking English to other foreigners. I saw more foreigners (Caucasians/Blacks) on one street in Taipei than I have seen in one week in Tainan. But that maybe because Taiwan was hosting the DeafOlympics in Taipei this past weekend.

3. Most things are cheaper in Tainan than in Taipei.

4. There are more "temptations" in Taipei.(Later posts)

Anyway, I like Tainan, I have plenty of time to study and so far so good. Classes haven't started yet so I safe for now.


Visiting Taipei after living in Tainan for a week made me feel like the country mouse visiting his city cousins. Tainan is not small but for sure Taipei is BIG. Here is a table of populations in millions:

Shanghai----16.74
Beijing--------13.82
NYC--------------8.36
Taipei-----------2.62
Mpls+StP-----2.37
Tainan------------.77
Seattle------------.57
Bellevue----------.12

So Taipei is more than 3 times the size of Tainan. Tainan was the capital of Taiwan during the last Chinese dynasty that ruled Taiwan but in Japanese time the capital was changed to Taipei and it's been there ever since. Taipei is also the business and cultural capital but Kaohsiung in the south is moving up.


Below is a picture of the super skyscraper in Taipei, Taipei 101. It's just one of the
of the entrances, just for the record. There are much better views on the web. ( The Wikipedia entry is great) It was at one time the tallest building in the world. But what really impressed me was that the first 5 or 6 floors are a mall. Every high end fashion shop is there Gucci, Versace, Prada, Dolce&Gabbana ... all the places that I regularly go to.
Maybe I haven't seen enough of Tainan yet but anything you want you can get there. I went to the Guanghua electronics market and bought a monitor, the choices are overhelming. This country mouse better stick to home.


Above is a typical temple in Danshui where we went sightseeing on Monday. Most tourist attractions do big business on the weekend but then shut down on Mondays for their rest. Most of the places we wanted to see in Danshui were closed. Good to check ahead. Shopping goes on from morning to midnight everyday of the week.



I had this "Apricot Chicken" in a western style restaurant in Taipei. It wasn't very good but it's a little worrisome that after only a week of great Chinese food I now turn my nose up at western food. It was colorful and I suppose steamed vegtables are more nutritious but nothing has nutritional value if you don't eat it because it tastes bad.

Like they say: "When in Rome do as the Romans" or "When in China eat as the Chinese".

9 comments:

Florence said...

As I said before, now this is the first thing I check in the morning even before the stock market. Honey, you are winning over money. Who says money can buy love? I never lived in Tainan. I might have visited there before but I have no memory at all. It sounded fun that I would like to live there for a while. Tainan is really Taiwanese. I am a typical Taiwanese, down to earth. I think I will like it. I am glad that you and I have the same taste.

Paula said...

Mike, you are making Bellevue sound like country! Haven't you heard about the opening of the Bravern high end stores this weekend? I might go over to check out Nieman-Marcus when we have to leave our house for a realtor to show it. Good luck with the start of your classes.

Paula said...

PS Mike, I'm dying to hear about the temptations you faced in Taipei. Give us a hint--were they anything that Florence should hear about? Did you take any pictures of them?

Thanks for including a map of Taiwan in your post. That is helpful.
Paula

Ely E said...

Did you go up to the top of Taipei 101? High end shopping?! Did you buy anything (for me) lol. :)

Cale Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cale Anderson said...

Exactly the question I was going to ask about Taipei 101...did you go to the top?!

Keep up the food documentation too, Im really enjoying seeing it all. Looks delicious!

P.S. - How's the beer?

Unknown said...

Hi Mike
Sounds like you are managing to get around quite successfully.
I like your blog. Its like going on this adventure with you. Loved the map. Now I have a better perspective on where you are at.

Unknown said...

I just caught up on your blog. It is very informative. I like all the pictures and data. It looks like you are eating very well. I will ask my friend kevin if there anything that you must do. Stay safe.

elleness7@gmail.com said...

I too liked the map. Finding the places we lived and then going across the map to find where I had gone on the tour. I'm hauling out stuff I brot back to start comparing. Really fun. Ellen