Thursday, September 3, 2009

Starting at the Bottom

Today was the placement exam for Chinese Language Class. I had such a hard time filling out the registration form that I was quickly put in the beginner's class without having to take the oral or written exam. I suppose this was to be expected but atleast I was efficiently pegged as a beginner. The Ministery of Education sets up this test and the general criterion to be above the beginner level would be to know more than 800 Chinese Characters. I may be able to recognize that many characters but I couldn't write that many. So it goes.

Last night I woke up with a 2 inch centipede in my hair. That was pretty scary but the first thing I thought of was to get a picture for the blog. (always thinking of you guys) He ran under the bed, I waited until the morning to find him. In the morning it was gone but maybe the little gecko under the bed ate him. This whole episode reminded me not to eat in the room.

The editor for blogger takes a while to get use to. After I'm finished and I layout the blogger reformats some stuff, it's a surprise when I actually see the new posting.



I had some uninteresting meals lately but today's lunch was at least colorful. It's called a "biandan" and it's a stiff paper box with rice, a few sides and a meat/fish entre. The one above has sauteed bell peppers(red, yellow and green), tomato with scrambled egg, sauteed cabbage and breaded sweet and sour pork on a bed of rice. It cost 50NT which is $1.52

8 comments:

Pinfan said...

centipede sounds terrible!...i will be go crazy if i saw it. It's good to read your blog, so, i can refresh my english reading too..I can't read big English book at all.:<

Starting at the bottom is good, can learn from very fundamental, just like my spanish...only Hola & Adios...hahha..

Study hard, and might give you pop quiz when i see you next time...hahah

Pinfan

Florence said...

Mike,

Good blog. It looked like only Ely, Paula and I put the comment to your blog. It might be not too many people know how to comment it. Remember what Steve said that life is the journey not the destination or something like it. Chinese is not the only purpose that you go there. It is the culture and experience!

Florence

Unknown said...

At least now you have a new pet. I hope everything is going well. Thanks for the bottle caps.

Unknown said...

It's fun and educational (the closest we'll ever get to Taiwan) to read your blog. It's interesting to read about your lodging and the food (keep sending pictures). The food is very different from what we experienced at the State Fair yesterday (including lefse, but no lutekisk) However, Lyle got a lutefisk t-shirt that called it the original Minnesota sushi.
Hope you haven't had any more centipede experiences. Mary

Ely E said...

Hopefully there' won;t be anymore bugs in your room after the other night. I think I would scream if I saw the gecko! The food looks good. Keep it coming. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Mike, Glad everything is going well for you.

Think of yourself a rolling stone. (Not the rock band.) But as a non-moss gathering stone traveling freely through life. On a journey married guys like me only dream of at night. You must make the most of your journey not only for yourself, but for all mankind!

3rd brother grasshopper.

Unknown said...

姑丈歡迎你到台灣

我是宗霖

elleness7@gmail.com said...

Whose is 3rd brother grasshopper??Still hope I'm not too late catching up!!!
Mother